Arrival & Dismissal
Effective September 8, 2016
The school day begins at 8:40 am. The Main Entrance opens at 8:40 am, (rain, snow or shine).
- Kindergarten students enter through the West Lobby and go upstairs to their class with their parent/caregiver.
- First –Fifth Grade: Students enter using the Main Entrance and go upstairs to their class
Your child is allowed to enter the school on their own; a staff member will always be there to greet them. Strollers are not allowed in the building.
BREAKFAST is served every day from 8:15 am until 8:35 am and is free for all students. Children eating breakfast will use the main entrance, by Security, to enter the building. Students must enter the building by 8:35 am.
Children will not be permitted to enter the school between 8:35 am and 8:40 am so that we may prepare for arrival. Our lobby must be clear so that our Safety Officer can monitor the breakfast transition and a safe arrival.
The West Lobby entrance will open at 2:50pm. Caregivers will enter and go up to classrooms through the West Lobby, (Stairways D and E). Caregivers will be asked to present their YCS Kindergarten pass to staff members in the lobby before going upstairs. Students will be dismissed from K classrooms. Caregivers should not enter the room. Children must “Say Good-bye” to their teacher and will leave one at a time. Conversations with classroom teachers should be kept to a “Hello/Good bye” (to minimize distractions) After-school/ Late Pick-Up students will be brought, by their teacher, to the designated after-school and/or late table in the Café after all students are dismissed.
The West Lobby entrance will open at 2:50pm. Caregivers will enter and go up to classrooms through the West Lobby, (Stairways D and E). Caregivers will be asked to present their YCS First Grade pass to staff members in the lobby before going upstairs.
Second and Third Grade
The school day ends at 3:00 pm. The Main Entrance/ East Lobby doors open at approximately 3:00 pm, (rain, snow or shine). Students will be dismissed from the East Yard. Children must say “Good Bye” to their teacher before being dismissed. Conversations with classroom teachers should be kept to a “Hello/Good bye” (to minimize distractions). Students in after-school programs will be brought by teachers to designated after-school after regular dismissal.
The school day ends at 3:00 pm. Please do not enter the West Lobby until 3:00 pm. This allows Kindergarten families to exit the building and limits traffic on the West Lobby. Students will be dismissed from the West Yard. Children must say “Good Bye” to their teacher before being dismissed. Conversations with classroom teachers should be kept to a “Hello/Good bye” (to minimize distractions). Students in after-school programs will be brought by teachers to designated after-school after regular dismissal.
Inclement Weather Dismissal- (rain, snow, etc.)
- Pre-K/Kindergarten/First Grade – Regular Dismissal from classrooms
- Second Grade/Fourth Grade - Dismissed from designated tables in the Cafeteria
- Third Grade – Dismissed from East Lobby (Main Lobby)
- Fifth Grade – Dismissed from West Lobby
Students in after-school programs will be brought by teachers to designated afterschool after regular dismissal.
Teachers take daily attendance promptly by 8:50 am. Students entering the main lobby 8:50am or later are considered late and must get a late pass from security. Lateness will be recorded in the students’ official records and shown on their progress report.
Late Pick-up – Arriving After Dismissal
Children who are picked up late are brought to the Café “Late” Table. Parents must sign out students before they are dismissed. After 3:15, students will be brought to the Main Office to wait for pick-up. Please be on time to pick-up your child. If you are running late, please call the Main Office. Late pickups are stressful for children, who may worry that something has happened to you or their caregiver. YCS/PS151 does not have the staff to supervise children after school is dismissed. If we receive no word from a parent and a child is left for an extended period of time, the school’s policy is to send the child to the local 19th police precinct so that the child stays safe and secure until a parent arrives. The precinct is located at 153 East 67th Street, New York, NY, 10065, (212) 452-0600. Parents who are chronically late will be instructed to enroll their children in an afterschool program.
If a parent needs to sign out a child before the end of the day, it must be by 2:40 pm. You must come to the Main Office and sign your child out. Students are only released to adults who are listed on the child’s blue emergency card. Please try to make a child’s doctor and dental appointments after school hours. Children miss important instruction when they are out of school.
Teachers will maintain a log that keeps track of who their students are dismissed to. Families will be filling out and submitting a form detailing their child’s afterschool plans each day. This includes participation in afterschool programming, and/or the name of the person picking their child up on each day of the week. Students are not dismissed to anyone that is not on the form or Blue Emergency Card
- Any changes to a child’s regular after school schedule must be submitted in writing to the classroom teacher (i.e. play-dates, no after-school program, an adult picking up your child who is not on your Blue Card). Verbal permission, over the phone or in person, and emails, will not be accepted. In the case of a last minute EMERGENCY, please call the Main Office.
The school day ends at 11:30am. The main doors open at 11:30am (rain, snow or shine).
All students will be provided the opportunity to eat lunch on half days. Students may bring lunch from home or eat school lunch. Please coordinate with your child’s afterschool to ensure that it is in session on these days.
Supporting a Safe and Productive Arrival and Dismissal:
- Please do not stand or sit on the top two steps. The Front doors open out and we do not want anyone to get hit by the doors when they open.
- Please Respect the Signs During High Traffic Times – The inside lobby doors are labeled “ENTER” and “EXIT”. Please use the “ENTER” doors to enter and the “EXIT” doors to leave. This is the best way to keep the flow of foot traffic steady and avoid hitting each other with the doors.
- When entering the yard, stay to the RIGHT on the stairs. When leaving, if the stairs to the yard are crowded with incoming care-givers, use the cafeteria to exit through. Once traffic subsides, feel free to exit up the stairs you entered, but stay to the RIGHT.
- If you are picking up children in multiple grades (i.e. K then 2, we ask that you wait in the Main Lobby and enter the East yard once all classes have been lined-up and School Safety opens the Main Entrance doors.