At YCS, students in all grades engage in multiple thematic units of study throughout the year. Our Common Core State Standard theme units of study are presented using an integrated, cross- curricular approach that emphasizes the reading of nonfiction text and the stages of researching to explore, learn and teach.
What is a Thematic Unit of Study?
A Thematic unit is the organization of a curriculum around a central theme. Thematic instruction integrates basic disciplines like reading, math, and writing with the exploration of a hig interest comprehensive subject, such pets, restaurants, sea creatures, government, etc.
Why Thematic Units of Study
- They reflect student interests
- They helps students make and understand connections
- They expand assessment strategies
- They keep students engaged
- They supports rigor
- They draw on connections from the real world and life experiences
- They provide hands-on and authentic learning experiences
- They develop EQ- Emotional Intelligence
- Teacher work as facilitators
- They accessibility though multiple entry points
Thematic Units of Study Across Grades
(Click on image for Larger View)